2016 Saxton Volunteer Fire Company

504 8th Street, Saxton, PA 16678

CO Activation

August 17, 2017

Unit 15 and Rescue 35 were out for a carbon monoxide (CO) investigation. Assistant Chief 35-1 was first on scene, and reported the residents were out of the structure. Upon arrival two crews with SCBAs were deployed into the structure. Crews noted the CO had dropped from the initial in-home CO monitor reported levels of 140+. Crews used positive ventilation to clear the house of CO gas. The crews then systematically started turning on potential CO sources to see if the problem resurfaced. After the initial ventilation, the gas cook stove was turned back on. It was determined the oven, in particular the broiler, was malfunctioning. Crews placed the oven out of service until being fixed by a qualified professional, opened doors to the kitchen for passive ventilation to reduce the low-level CO, talked with the residents, and checked CO levels for safety before returning to station.

 

PIO Diehl said, "Everyone who has a carbon-based fuel should have a CO detector in their home. Gas cook stoves, kerosene heaters, furnaces, wood stoves can malfunction causing a CO concern. It's a silent killer, as the gas is odorless."

 

 

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

Diehl Resigns

October 2, 2019

1/5
Please reload

Recent Posts

October 22, 2019

October 17, 2019

October 15, 2019

October 2, 2019

October 1, 2019

September 30, 2019

July 6, 2019

Please reload

Archive